Time Travel

  • View of Nordschwaben (1900)
    View of Nordschwaben (1900)

    Painted postcard of Nordschwaben (1913)
    Painted postcard of Nordschwaben (1913)

History of Nordschwaben

Crest of Nordschwaben The place is situated approximately in the middle of the Dinkelberg and slightly south of its highest rise in the ground, the „Hohe Flum“. The cemetery with the  Mauritius chapel is situated approximately  450 m south east of the village. In 1267, the place was mentioned for the first time as „Nortswaben“ and it possessed even at that time a noble lineage of its own, the Squires of Nordschwaben.

But this local nobility, vassals of the Margraves of Hachberg-Sausenberg, did not possess the village rule since Nordschwaben already belonged to the County of Rheinfelden and they fell to Austria in the year 1449. Owing to its position,  the place was spared from most armed conflicts in contrast to the other Austrian localities on the Dinkelberg.

Originally, Nordschwaben belonged as filial church to the parish of  Höllstein and came to the parish of  Minseln in the Late Middle Ages. Near the village, which even today is mainly an agricultural community, are numerous  Dolinas, among them the well-known so-called „Teufelsloch“.

Location: 435 m above sea level
Territory:  345 ha
Inhabitants: 322
Incorporation:  1974
Coat of arms: A green fir tree with a black trunk on each side of which stands a red lion in silver on a green shield base.
   
Places  of interest:

 
Mauritius Chapel,
Hohe Flum,
Teufelsloch (Devil’s Hole),
Biotope "Hunzel"

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass unsere Dienste Cookies verwenden. Mehr erfahren OK