Time Travel

Historical postcard of Nollingen (1913)
Historical postcard of Nollingen  (1913)

View of Nollingen (1976)
View of Nollingen (1976)

History of Nollingen

Crest of Nollingen, today the crest of Rheinfelden (Baden)Nollingen, which is the mother municipality of the young industrial town of Rheinfelden (Baden), was already mentioned in writing in a document of the monastery St. Gall in 752.
In Nollingen, a  noble lineage of its own developed soon: in 1202, the „Knights of Nollingen” were mentioned for the first time. They owned a water-surrounded castle. As early as in the 15th century they died out.

Nollingen was under the rule of Rheinfelden, the territory of which was on the left and right of the Rhine. Its seat of administration was the town of  Rheinfelden pertaining to the left bank of the Rhine. At the beginning of the 15th century, this town struggled hard to keep its freedom of realm which it lost in 1449 when the territory of Rheinfelden finally passed  to the Austrian House of  Habsburg.
The village of Nollingen belonged to the Grand Duchy of Baden from 1806 onwards.

In the years from 1894 to 1898, the power station was built on the Rhine and as a consequence, as industries settled here, the little rural village changed into the double municipality of Nollingen-Badisch Rheinfelden. After the incorporation of Warmbach, Rheinfelden (Baden) achieved  township in 1922.
Today, Nollingen has 3,144 inhabitants (as of 2007).

Street in Nollingen (1900)
Street in Nollingen (1900)

After becoming a town and after the change of the name, Rheinfelden (Baden) kept the coat of arms of the “Knights of  Nollingen“: in gold, there is a red lion standing upright and holding a stylized red rose in the left front paw.

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass unsere Dienste Cookies verwenden. Mehr erfahren OK