Time Travel

  • Painted Postcard of Adelhausen (1900)
    Painted Postcard of Adelhausen (1900)

    Painted postcard of Adelhausen (1910)
    Painted postcard of Adelhausen (1910)

    Picture postcard of Adelhausen (1920)
    Picture postcard of Adelhausen (1920)

History of Adelhausen

Crest of Adelhausen In 1192, Adelhausen was  mentioned for the first time. The origin of the two other  villages  may be dated back to a similar time: Rappersweier (1399), which has been absorbed completely in the meantime, and the slightly younger village of Ottwangen (1318). The place names originate from personal names and as to their development, they belong to the late  Merovingian time, i.e. 7th century A.D.

In 1819, flagstone tombs dating back to that time were discovered there. Roman findings  from the 1st century A.D. were confirmed to belong to the oldest settlement testimony of the  Dinkelberg. During Roman times, there was a transport link from Wyhlen via Dinkelberg to the Wiesental; the term „Römerstraße“ (Roman road) in the Ottwanger Wald reminds us of this fact. Adelhausen was under the rule of Rheinfelden and shared its history.

The coat of arms of the village with the Austrian double-headed eagle still reminds us of the cameralistic rule of  Rheinfelden by Austria and its affiliation to the region of the Rhine valley. In 1806, Adelhausen became part of the Grand Duchy of  Baden.
Until the end of the 18th  century, Adelhausen and Eichsel had a common local administration. Then the village had its own mayor who was subordinate to the bailiff of Eichsel. Church-wise, Adelhausen was always connected with Eichsel. The inhabitants used to make their living on agriculture and fruit growing as well as on livestock production and on woodwork. Nowadays, the village is undergoing change to become a commuter and residential community.

Location: 459 m above sea level
Territory: 713 ha
Inhabitants: 751
Incorporation: 1974
Coat of arms:
 
Red-tongued and red-armed black double-eagle in silver with silver buckler, therein the black letter A.
   
Places of interest:
 
Biotope in the „Gewann Erle",
Well-kept hiking trails with views of the Southern Black Forest  and the Swiss Jura.

Durch die Nutzung dieser Website erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass unsere Dienste Cookies verwenden. Mehr erfahren OK